Sunday 6 December 2015

Asterix and the Missing Scroll

2015-12-06_07-37-31 

I love entering competitions and I love winning them! I do try to restrict my entering to prizes for which I actually have some use - mainly because putting the effort in to sell anything unwanted is a bit of a pain.

However, after a bit of a quiet month on the winning front I was stoked to receive an email from Child magazine letting me know I'd won a copy of the new Asterix book, Asterix and the Missing Scroll. I was originally a Tintin girl but got into Asterix after I'd read my complete Tintin set about thirty times ...

If you don't know, the Asterix books were originally written by Goscinny and Uderzo and published in France in the great tradition of bandes dessinnées. Goscinny, the writer, died in the late 1970s and his illustrator, Uderzo, is still alive but no longer draws. So this 'new' Asterix tome is written by Jean-Yves Ferri and illustrated by Didier Conrad.

This book is centred around a missing scroll which is actually a rather-too-honest chapter of Caesar's Commentarii de Bello Gallico (Commentary on the Gallic War). It's the one chapter where Caesar documents his failure to conquer all of Gaul. His publicist is none to keen on this chapter seeing the light of day but it's squirrelled out of Rome by an investigative reporter and makes its way to Armorica ...

That's enough spoiler detail. Obviously there is plenty of boar eating and Roman bashing along the way! :D

If you're an Asterix fan you'll enjoy this book though it is noticeable that there's a bit of a shift from the original books. I had plenty of giggles along the way and, as always, it is rooted in just enough historical accuracy to be almost credible.

A happy return to the Gaulish village!



Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home